At the American Museum of Natural History, travel from the edge of the universe to the inner workings of Earth, and explore the life and cultures on our planet. In the Rose Center for Earth and Space, which houses the Hayden Planetarium Space Theater, experience the current Space Show, Journey to the Stars, which launches visitors through space and time to experience the life and death of the stars in our night sky. Shows are every half-hour from 10:30am.
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024
- Open daily, 10am – 5:45pm
- Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
General admission to the attraction rated #1 in NYC by Zagat Survey’s US Family Travel Guide. Includes admission to Rose Center for Earth and Space, and a Hayden Planetarium Space Show.
- The Hayden Planetarium Space Theater uses advanced visual technology to create shows of unparalleled sophistication, realism, and excitement.
- Rose Center for Earth and Space is included with CityPASS admission.
- The Museum’s renowned fossil halls feature the largest collection of dinosaur fossils in the world.
- A 94-foot-long blue whale model presides over the immersive Milstein Hall of Ocean Life.
- The dioramas in the Museum’s Mammal Halls are among the most renowned in the world.
Present CityPASS booklet or voucher at the 79th Street main entrance advanced sales desk or at the Will Call desk at the lower level, Rose Center/81st Street entrance – look for the CityPASS sign in both locations. Booklets may also be presented at the subway entrance, main 79th St. ticket line, or at the Rose Center public school line.
Special Exhibits Included with CityPASS
Picturing Science: Museum Scientists and Imaging Technologies
Through June 24, 2013
Upgrades for CityPASS Holders
IMAX: Adult $9.50; youth (2-12) $8
Reduced-rates for CityPASS holders:
Our Global Kitchen: Food, Nature and Culture: Take a journey around the world and through time. Stroll through an ancient market, cook a virtual meal, peek inside the dining rooms of illustrious individuals—and consider some of the most challenging issues of our time. Adult $9.50; youth (2-12) $8; ends August 11, 2013.
Whales: Giants of the Deep: Whales: Giants of the Deep transports visitors to the vibrant underwater world of the mightiest animals on earth. Adult $10; youth (2-12) $9; ends January 5, 2014.
Advice for Visitors
- Daily Space Shows are every 1/2 hour from 10:30am-4:30pm.
- Visit before noon on weekends when it’s the least crowded.
- Visit Ology, AMNH’s website just for kids.
- The GPS enabled free iPhone App is a great way to enhance your museum experience.
Parking: Limited indoor parking in museum parking garage; enter at 81st St. between Central Park West and Columbus Ave., 8am-11pm. Call (212) 313-7278.
Dining: Multiple dining facilities available.
Accessibility: The American Museum of Natural History welcomes all visitors and strives to make its exhibitions, programs, and services accessible to everyone.
Self-Guide: Download the AMNH Explorer free iPhone App, or borrow one at the main entrance at no charge, with a refundable credit card deposit.
Multiple museum shops.
Coat Check: Directly inside main entrance at Central Park West at 79th Street and in lower level of Rose Center; available Sept-March, $2 per person, space permitting.
Strollers: Strollers not allowed in Space Theater.
Subway: B (weekdays only) or C train.
Bus: M7, M10, M11 to 79th Street. M79 to Central Park West.
CitySights NY Double Decker bus stop: #34 Uptown Treasures & Harlem Tour.
Groups of 20 or more: Call (212) 769-5100; Email firstname.lastname@example.org.