From the massive to the minuscule, from the cuddly to the terrifying; when it comes to animals, the San Diego Zoo has it all. This zoo is not only one of the world’s largest, but also one of the most progressive in the world. Spanning impressive 107 acres, more than 800 species from around the world can be found here. The San Diego Zoo even boasts an authentic Safari Park that lets you get up close and personal with giraffes, antelope and other creatures in their natural habitat. A trip to San Diego would not be complete without paying a visit to this world-famous zoo, so get ready for a walk on the wild side!
Here are just a few of the super-cool critters you will see in San Diego Zoo’s spectacular exhibits:
- Slithery Reptiles: They’ve got Alligators, Anacondas, Galapagos tortoise, Komodo Dragons, Gila Monsters, Iguanas, and Crocodiles, just to name a few.
- Birds: San Diego Zoo is home to many flocks of feathery vertebrates, including the stunning and quirky Bird of Paradise, Bald Eagle, Condor, Emu, Hawk, Kingfishers, Kookaburra, Macaw, Bali Mynah Bird, Secretary Bird (What’s that? You’ll have to wait and see!), and don’t forget to vistit the very tiny, but very spectacular Hummingbird!
- Inspects & Spiders: You’ll find all manner of creepy-crawlies here including Tarantulas and Stick Insects, as well as beautiful varieties of the butterfly.
- Mammals: Can’t miss these guys! Antelope, Giant Pandas, Polar Bears, Brown Bears, fourteen kinds of cats (including the elusive Snow Leopard), Giraffes, Chimps, Tasmanian Devils, Gorillas, Hyenas, Hippos, Zebras, Kangaroos, Honey Badgers (don’t be fooled by the cute name), Elephants, and Rhinos are all here. Also, the San Diego Zoo gives you a complete mammal experience with Dolphins, Sea Lions, and other marine mammals!
- Versatile Amphibians: Goliath Frogs, Poison Frogs, Salamanders and Mantilla are among San Diego Zoo’s dual-habitat dwellers.
San Diego Zoo is a great destination for any animal lover, and is at the forefront of conservation and awareness efforts. The warm climate of sunny San Diego provides the perfect opportunity to get out and see the beauty of the animal kingdom in realistic habitats, surrounded by staff who are dedicated to their propagation and well-being. Don’t miss this San Diego classic!
Address2920 Zoo DriveSan Diego, CA 92101
Public TransportationBy Bus: Take #7 bus to Zoo Place.
Driving DirectionsFrom the North (Southbound): From I-5 (Los Angeles and Orange County), take the Pershing Drive exit and follow the signs. From Interstate 15 (Escondido and Riverside), take State Route 163 south to the Park Blvd./I-5 South exit. Exit at Park Blvd. Turn left on Park Blvd. and head north; Zoo entrance is off Park Blvd. at Zoo Place. From the South (Northbound): From Interstate 5 (Mexico), take the State Road 163 north exit, then the Zoo/Museums (Richmond Street) exit and follow the signs.
Proceed to any ticketing booth and present your Go Select Pass for entry.
The ticket includes unlimited use of Guided Bus Tour, Express Bus, and Skyfari Aerial Tram.
Hand stamp and ticket required for re-entry. Not responsible for lost or stolen ticket card. No refunds or exchanges.